Friday Morning: The Rest of Greenwich Village

I got up earlier than usual Friday and grabbed another blueberry muffin at the same place as the last time I explored Greenwich. (Despite all my philosophies regarding exploration and trying new things (NY, food, life, ...), sometimes you can simply stick with what works. :)

Then, off to the east side of Greenwich Village. This side was certainly less exciting than the last one. I saw some fancy architecture, found a museum (Forbes) that should've been open (according to the sign) but wasn't, and a famous art gallery (Salmagundi) that was only open to the public during very limited hours (not then). I was struck not just here but everywhere throughout Manhattan how many nice churches there are just stuck in the middle of a block; three beautiful churches hidden within a few block radius spurred this thought. (Sorry, couldn't find good pictures online of them.)

Most of the area in east Greenwich was residential and unexciting. One sentence of my guidebook's description of Washington Park was right on: "A few drug dealers frequent the park, but it is safe by day." Indeed. Twice as I was walking by people they muttered under their breath, "smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, you, smoke, want, smoke, smoke, you, want."

Most of this whole area was so unexciting, I thought, maybe it's just me, maybe I've just become immune to the architecture and variety of the buildings. But then I had to cross Broadway, and Broadway in Greenwich is a stunning array of architectures, metal facades, etc. Then I realized it wasn't me; it was just that part of Greenwich.

And that was my Friday morning.

1 comment:

Mir said...

hey, kind of off-topic, but can you find out why they have a "how-stun" in NY vs. the "hew-stun" in TX?