Google Off-Site

What I ate recently: okay pizza (lunch ordered in); dinner see below.

This morning I got up and walked to work. It was probably a bit over a mile but felt very short since there was so much to see. I bought a good croissant at a bakery on the way. Someone else with a very New York accent ordered two pounds of donuts (among other things). I passed a number of better looking bakeries later, in Midtown, which I plan to try. Oh, and the USPS has a very big fancy looking building.

At work, after getting my computer set up, we had an engineering offsite. :) So I get to see all the other engineers (and meet some, and re-met a few that I met before when they were in Mountain View). Went climbing then bowling and drinking at a giant sports park built on a pier! (Didn't climb very well because I wasn't dressed appropriately; didn't bowl that well (just average) because of the alcohol (so I claim).)

For dinner I wandered around (again past an absurd number of pizza parlors, and quite a number of restaurant-bars for which it's hard to know how good the food is (one I specifically avoided because I heard the sounds of meatloaf coming out)) and eventually found a restaurant not far from my apartment called The Tomato Restaurant. It was another restaurant-bar, but the name intrigued me and the diners to drinkers ratio was high.

The Tomato Restaurant was mostly a red-sauce (hence the name) style Italian restaurant. The interior was burgundy and with the upper-walls a white-brick-green-vine theme gave it a vaguely earthy theme. Not earthy-granola but earthy-secluded-glade. The walls had many large black-and-white photographs of people eating pasta. The lighting was provided by large orangish-red globes (again reminiscent of the namesake).

I had some decent garlic bread (flavorful but crustier than I prefer) and a good fussili with chicken and sausage pasta dish with a tomato-basil sauce. Exactly what I was in the mood for. Next time, however, I'll get something which sounded more interesting (but I wasn't in the mood for): a fried green tomato sandwich.

Browsed a bookstore after dinner. Still trying to decide how to meet (non-google) people here; maybe talking to them a bookstore might work. Seems a little sketchy.. (Didn't browse for that reason, by the way. Browsed for books.) Every time I was in an elevator today people talked to me: that didn't happen much in california. Cool.

I don't think this post frequency is sustainable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"one I specifically avoided because I heard the sounds of meatloaf coming out"

What, exactly, IS the sound of "meatloaf coming out"??

-j

mark said...

Meatloaf is a artist that sings cheesy love songs.

Mir said...

I am SO glad someone asked, cuz I was curious as to the sound of meatloaf myself... :) the images were unpleasant... in either case, walking away sounds like the most sound decision :) not to say there isn't a time and a place for Meatloaf :)

hope you're having too much fun Mark! :)