I Am a New Yorker

I am a New Yorker. I was walking home 10:30ish and gave a confused couple directions.

Oh, and real new york weather has returned. Today was warm, highs in 80s and fairly humid. I was comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts on the way home.

Another reason I'm a new yorker is that I spent a lot of time this morning (Tuesday) exploring the area around the old world trade towers. The old area is fenced off for construction (of the memorial). I went to a church nearby that had a very moving memorial to 9/11. The church was used as one of the major bases of operation of the rescue effort. The world financial center also had a small memorial and information about the rebuilding effort, but the significance was diluted by the nearby presence of various stores (like a Banana Republic in sight).

I also visited the jewish museum. It had a very well done series of exhibits about the history and culture and religion of the jewish people, before, during, and after the holocaust. Made me feel again back in touch with some of my heritage. It also had an exhibit about the jews in the US military during world war two, and a tiny exhibit about jews in the south that is only worth mentioning because of expression they used to promote the exhibit: Shalom Y'all. :)

Would've been a depressing excursion (couldn't do more because I had to go into work) except the day was beautiful and I got to walk along battery park in the south-west corner of manhattan. Very green, right along the river, with tremendous views and nice breeze.

Oh, and if you haven't replied to my previous post yet, do so!

No comments: