Monday Part II: Good Food and Even Better Food

Hah, a brief(ish) post for once! Monday -despite the muffin- turned out to have good food after all. By happenstance, a friend of mine had stopped by his hotel in the evening and noticed the Taste of Times Square was happening. I had always planned on going to this but forgot it was so soon. It's good he noticed and told me!

The Taste of Times Square is an event where lots of restaurants in the area sell small samples of their food. Much like a great similar festival in Seattle I went to in 1999. It was two blocks long. This may not sound like much, but these were east-west blocks so that is probably close to half a mile.

I tried to remember the names of all the places I tried food from but failed. Here's what I ate, however:

* Hush Puppies (from the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co) - mmmmm, it's been too long since I've had these. (2 tickets)
* A good chicken-filled pastry (I forget the name but very much like what you can get at the Hong Kong Bakery in Mountain View. (2 tickets)
* A bacon-wrapped shrimp with bbq sauce. Scary. Ick. (2 tickets)
* Naan and chicken (masala, if I remember correctly). I thought of this as my main entree. It was good, and spicy. (3 tickets)

Right around this time the booths started closing. (Well, some were actually closed and/or sold out before I got there, but the whole fair was starting to close.) I was the last person they allowed in line to get more tickets. At this point, lots of booths were cutting their "prices" (tickets) to get rid of their items (especially those with perishable goods). I finished this trip off by getting:

* A flakey pastry filled with cream and topped with fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries). This was an expensive item -four tickets- and they weren't cutting their prices. Probably because they knew it looked so well done that they'd just sell out at the end. (Note: if you know the name of this item, please tell me!)
* A crab cake, cut from 3 to 2 tickets when a friend got some earlier and cut to one by the time I got a piece now. :)
* And finally a chocolate eclair for one ticket, at the very end when this was only booth open, the chocolate was melting, and they just had to go.

No comments: