My First New York Post!

Recently ate: <see below>

I suppose if this were a real blog, I'd write about all the neat things that happened recently. But I'll skip that since the point of the blog is to document my life in NY. (All the previous posts have been was practice.) Suffice it to say that I had a productive cool shopping trip to the Castro during which I got some good fashion advice; Jodie is cool for letting me crash with her for a while while I'm homeless (actually, she'd be cool anyway); the Roxie is showing a fairly interesting movie about the national scrabble championships called Word Wars (in the style of Spellbound but a bit scarier because the characters here are older); I recently started Myst; being checked out by gay men in the Castro is a funky feeling.

Now, to the good stuff: I'm in NEW YORK! Freaken` cool. The apartment I'm in is pretty nice. A two-story (on floors four and five) two-bedroom. I'll take pictures sometime. It's pretty, and it has a wireless router. Sad but funny that I think that's one of the more important things to mention. Looks like I have an apartment-mate, but I haven't met him yet.

After I arrived there was brief downpour with some thunder. How's that for instantly proving that I'm not on the east coast anymore? I think this is portentous (in a good way) because I always miss thunderstorms on the west coast. And then there was a new episode of The Simpsons on! The odds of that happening to me are near zero. Another omen. And right when it finished, the rain stopped, I put on my swanky new shoes and went exploring.

The area around my apartment (Chelsea) feels like the mission but much less sketchy. I walked a wide circle during which I noticed countless pizza places and quite a number of well-populated second floor exercise rooms while looking for a good place to eat. Despite being hungry (having not eaten all day), I was being picky: I wanted my first meal in NY to be something special.

I finally decided to eat at a Thai restaurant near the end of my loop only two blocks Manhattan distance from my apartment. (If you were an AI person, you'd find that funny. :) Actually most of the really promising restaurants I saw were close to my apartment! Yay!

This restaurant was a good choice. The decor was an attractive red-tint. Probably fifteen tables, some outside on the sidewalk. I sat just inside by the sidewalk and ordered Pannang Duck and a drink called a Mango Caress that was mostly mango and rum and quite tasty and pretty strong. The duck was tender and juicy, served beautifully on a stylish colorful crate-and-barrel-style plate, with pineapple and scallops on top. It was great! I didn't realize the restaurant had music until suddenly one song -Roxette's She's Got The Look- impinged on my consciousness. It's a catchy 80's song that isn't played that often and this instantly raised my view of the restaurant's style. I people-watched for a while, attempted to count the taxi to other vehicles ratio (about 3:1 on the street I was sitting at), then went home and posted this.

Sorry for the long post. Now is also the time to take bets about whether all my future blog posts will be restaurant reviews.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! you made it! (not that there was any doubt of that really...) Good entry. Long is fine! Can I just mention real quick how jealous I am? Two story apartment in NY?!? THUNDERSTORMS?!?! and good food to boot! (and good shoes...) Damn, you're gonna have one hell of a summer...