Friday: Me Being A Geek: Photo Software

Friday was nothing exciting. When I wasn't working at work, I was coding some software to provide a nice web interface to my pictures. Main reasons: (a) I want to control my own content, captions and images. I didn't want to type in all these captions online and then if I wanted to browse locally on my computer or backup my captions, I'd have trouble exporting/downloading them. Part of this is not having to depend on some company that may go out of business in a few years. And even if I found software that would let me browse locally and keep my content locally if I wanted, most of those pieces of software stored the content in specially formatted files, so if that software company went out of business then I'd be in trouble. (b) I wanted to control the interface. If I didn't like something about the interface, I wanted the ability to change it.

You can see the results of this program by following any picture links from yesterday's or forthcoming postings. (Thanks go to Craig N-M for giving me the code that I used as the basis.) Comments? Opinions? Share.

No comments: