Monday: Taking It Easy

Just a brief post. I think I'm going to take it a bit easier this week since I've been running around trying to finish seeing everything I want to see in the city before I fly back to the west coast (on Friday). And I'm feeling pretty good about everything I've seen.

Today was a quick good cubano sandwich from my local Cuban restaurant with incredibly bad service, Havana-Chelsea. Dinner at Google. Maybe I'll find some time tonight to update this blog further: I still have to finish the half-completed posts from last Sunday, last Wednesday, and this most recent weekend (Saturday and Sunday).

I'm looking forward to being "home." Though not looking forward to, uh, finding a home (i.e., apartment hunting). And still need to decide how to live: one bedroom or with random people. Sadly, all my Berkeley-local housemate options fell through.

Just so this post isn't a total loss, here are two amusing facts.

One, I was offered fake IDs for the first time in my life this morning (while walking through Times Square).

And two: two deserves a brief story. I always keep my keys, cards, camera, etc. in particular pockets. At some point, I got tired of this and decided not to continually favor one hand for each such item so I started switching pockets on myself. This actually got somewhat confusing and at times very annoying because either I'd reach for something with my hands full and it wouldn't be there, or I'd feel funny walking around because I'm used to a particular heavy item (e.g., camera, glasses case, flashlight) being on one leg and when it is on the other leg it makes walking feel funny. In any case, I was doing this with my camera (which normally goes in my right pocket) in my left pocket and I was having trouble gripping it and getting it in and out of my pocket. And I realized that my camera is very strongly biased towards right-handers, being 40% thicker on the right side than the left so using it left handed is unwieldy. Feeling bad for left-handed camera users, I looked them up online. Most of the results came up for a few cameras that advertise as being symmetric and therefore good for either hand. I think I only saw one camera for left-handers. But there are your interesting facts about the existence (well, practically non-existence) of left handed cameras.

No comments: