Singapore: July 24: Conference

Although the conference officially ended the day before, I stayed to attend a workshop. Thus, my day was pretty filled. These pictures show the little that I did this day.

After the workshop ended, I promptly left to check into my new hotel. Because I refused to be moved into a room with two single beds, the hotel upgraded me to a better room on the 28th floor! Even before I got upgraded, I could tell this hotel was nicer than my last one.

My hotel room felt like a command center with a, well, commanding view of the city. A panel by the bed controlled all the lights and air flow throughout room. In addition, the way the screen and heavy curtain on the wide panoramic window rose and fell, controlled using a remote, made it seem like a military complex. Down, and we're in lock down. Up, and it's like Star Trek putting something on the large viewscreen.

As I learned when it started raining sporadically while I hunted for dinner, the presence of many malls downtown means it's easy to get around in the rain--just jump in a mall and walk its length until it connects to another. While walking these modern malls, I decided they felt a bit too clean. Also, Singapore has lots of elevated walkways downtown for crossing roads, meaning you don't have to wait at lights.

No comments: