Singapore: Feb 21: Jalan Besar

After breakfast in the hotel, I went to work to use the internet and printers in order to plan my day. By noon I was on my way to explore Jalan Besar, a neighborhood just north of Little India. I choose the word neighborhood specially -- the area has a neighborhoody feel. It also has tons of shophouses; I took some good pictures of those.

I followed my walking tour map and walked this route around Jalan Besar, taking these pictures on the way.

The weather was fickle, changing between blazingly sunny and hot to cloudy and ickily warm to rainy. (It rained once while I was walking--I took shelter--and again later--a serious downpour--during dinner.) When there was a breeze and I was in the shade, it was okay. Otherwise, ...

The pictures document my walk; I have nothing to add here to them.

I met Di Yin for dinner at Food Republic. After dinner, we headed to our hotel to re-check-in. It was actually the same hotel where we stayed the previous two nights. (I didn't book a longer period at this hotel originally because I wasn't sure we'd like it. We did.) Checking in was a complicated affair because the hotel didn't have a record of our expedia reservation. I think the hotel ended up using the expedia itinerary number and called expedia to sort it out. Eventually we were given a room, yet again with a free upgrade (though to a different class of room as our last upgrade). (I imagine they were out of rooms of the class we reserved.) In comparison to our past upgrade, this time our room was smaller but had much better views. (It was on the 20th story.)

No comments: