California Avenue Farmers Market

While out running on Sunday morning, the 18th of August, 2010, I happened upon the California Avenue farmers market. I'd forgotten the market existed.

I glanced only briefly at it before I realized that because I was running I didn't have an ID, much cash, or an ATM card on me. I decided to return later in the day.

Upon my return, I explored the market thoroughly. Though slightly smaller than Mountain View's market, I definitely prefer this one. It has a few bakeries that serve pastries, making it an appropriate morning breakfast destination (unlike the Mountain View farmers market, which has only one bakery and that bakery sells only bread, nothing sweet). It also has more organic food, including four organic stands devoted to peaches and the like. (Mountain View only has one dedicated organic peach stand.) In fact, the vast majority of stands on California Avenue are organic.

I also liked the larger number of prepared food stands. There's a stand selling sauerkraut, another selling pickles, two Indian takeout joints, one with a cylindrical oven for naan, a stand selling rotisserie chicken, a crepes stand, a Mexican stand (specializing in Oaxacan cuisine) associated with a good neighborhood restaurant, a frozen yogurt stand (from the shop down the street), the same sorbet stand with unusual flavors (things like pluot and snap pea) that's also at the Mountain View market, and a stand selling freshly squeezed juices. Phew: that's quite a list. I bought part of my lunch from the "raw guy", a stand that sells home-made flaxseed cones filled with sweet stuff (e.g., mixed berries in syrup) and savory stuff. I had the savory Thai one, loaded with cabbage, mango, tamarind, and more. It was good.

I bought a bunch of stuff to bring home: canneles, a chocolate souffle cake, a quiche, various vegetables and fruits, and a jar of pickles. In the process, I re-learned/remembered that farmers markets are expensive.

Incidentally, I like fun, friendly booths. One booth had a bin for "cosmetically challenged" apples. (I guess they couldn't label the bin "ugly" apples, because I think those are a particular type of apples.)

No comments: