Travel to Washington D.C.

On Wednesday, September 24, 2011, I, the revenant son, returned after a long absence to my youth home, the Washington D.C. area.

I ate a good breakfast in the morning, then headed to the airport. Getting to the airport to catch my flight was an adventure that bears not repeating.

I flew Frontier, possibly for the first time. It seems like a decent airline. All the seats were fake leather and had a personal TV. Interestingly, there seemed to be only one class of seat. But the best feature was that they serve warm chocolate chip cookies on every flight.

I transferred in Denver. I like the Denver airport's architecture, or at least that of Terminal A. Also, the Denver airport has a fairly good selection of promising-looking restaurants including a brewery. I ate in a diner-y one; it was good. I also browsed the terminal's photography exhibit. I wouldn't mind transferring in Denver again.

I landed in Washington National (DCA), a small airport that's the closest airport to Washington D.C. In contrast to Denver, DCA was drab and ugly (or at least its Terminal A).

Heading outside to catch my shuttle, I observed it was a balmy, pleasant night, nice weather to arrive into. Funnily, I recognized the news, traffic, and weather radio station (WTOP) playing in the airport shuttle even though I hadn't thought about it in years.

I saw the Washington Monument the instant the shuttle left the airport. We then quickly crossed the Potomac and passed some of the Mall's memorials. It was a nice welcome to the city. I'm glad I took the shuttle instead of the metro (which would have caused me to miss these sites).

No comments: