London: July 29: Chinatown

On Wednesday, July 29, 2009, Di Yin and I met to explore London's Chinatown (near Leicester Square). Due to complications, by the time we ended up in Chinatown, we were both famished. Hence, I didn't get to see much of it. What I did see surprised me: a couple of pedestrianized blocks filled with well-dressed, well-heeled, mostly white people. It felt like the place one goes to for a (Chinese-food) night on the town, not a place where anyone lives, let alone a community of Chinese people. This is not a neighborhood with an everyday, working-class Chinese vibe.

I took one picture on the way to Chinatown. We also walked by the National Gallery (pretty) and its large square on the way. I didn't take a picture of either, but I'd visit them again on later dates (1, 2).

No comments: