London: July 31: Westminster Abbey, St. James Park, and more

In the morning of Friday, July 31, I walked by Buckingham Palace and through St. James Park to arrive at Parliament Square to visit Westminster Abbey. I took these pictures on this excursion. They're good (especially the first half).

The pictures document the whole excursion with the exception of Westminster Abbey (and vicinity), to which I devote this blog post.

Immediately before visiting Westminster Abbey, I stuck my head in St. Margaret's church, which is next door to it. The church is requesting donations for "urgent conservation." I can't imagine why they need it--it's quite nice inside. It has very detailed stained glass windows and intricate stone reliefs lining the walls.

As for Westminster Abbey, I kept saying "wow" / "holy cow" / "holy crap". Whatever expression of amazement you choose, it's impressive. (Sorry, pictures weren't allowed inside.) It's the most impressive religious site I've visited, and yes that counts Ranakpur, a highlight of my trip to India. Even the Abbey's side chapel puts major sight-seeing churches to shame. It's everything: the architecture, the statues, the stained glass, the rose windows (including the world's largest), the countless bas reliefs, the numerous memorials. Yet, even if there were nothing in the abbey, the building alone would be worth the (expensive) price of admission.

Henry VII's Lady Chapel took my breath away. It's not just the design of the vaulted ceiling ("a wonder of the world") and the knightly flags but also the elaborate wood carvings above the monks seats (each unique?) and again the stained glass and innumerable reliefs (also all unique?). I also want to point out the high altar's resplendent gilded screen and Victorian mosaic.

By the time I made it to the nave proper, I'd exhausted my quota of gasps and effusive words.

I can see what Gaudi wanted with his Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. If it, whenever it's completed, gets anywhere near the quality of this monument, it should be considered a success.

By the way, I listened to the good audio guide as I studied the abbey. Due to the density of tombs (many of royalty or nobility), in the process of touring I learned a good amount of history from the audio guide and the epitaphs.

Given my reaction to the Abbey, it's no surprise that I spent much longer wandering around here (two hours) than I intended.

During my visit, I realized I was glad photography is prohibited. Because there were so many quality shots ready to be taken--even such easily overlooked nuances as the outlines of the doors or the bronze roses surrounding one tomb--, I'd never have made it through the abbey without being overwhelmed by the photographic choices. Furthermore, if other people were stopping everywhere to take pictures, it would be impossible to navigate/move through the chaos.

On the way back to work from Westminster Abbey, I spotted a small street market on Strutton Ground, off Victoria Street, complete with a couple of fruit stands and food stands. Nothing exciting, but I'm happy I spotted something like this by chance. The street itself has a number of sandwich shops selling long, narrow sandwiches. Also, one take-out/eat-in joint along the street, The Laughing Halibut, a fish-and-chips place, had a queue well out the door.

No comments: