Today's post brought to you by the word "bagel" and the number three

The local good bagel shop has the following sign. I can't figure out which of the two nearly opposite meanings is correct. The first word is WIFI, black on white. Below that is FREE in white on black. Below that again in black on white is ZONE.

Also, why do bagel shops look at me funny when I ask for something *toasted*? "We don't do that here." I know people like cream cheese but cream cheese day after day (even if they have a dozen flavers) gets boring, and if you are ordering with butter, toasted is better than not.

While happily eating my bagel on the way to work this morning, I was doing the standard New York thing of crossing a street even if the pedestrian sign says don't walk. Just look to see if cars are coming (which is really easy because most streets are one way) then walk. At one intersection I waited for a taxicab to pass and then started crossing. I was two steps into the crosswalk when a police car does a quick right turn in front of me two feet from me and turns on its lights. I was thinking, darn, am I going to be the first new yorker I've ever seen arrested for jaywalking? But then the police car continued down the street *whew* and I also simultaneously realized my crossing was actually at no physical risk because the cop didn't have the right to turn right. In New York City turns on reds are illegal. I wonder if the cops arrested me for jaywalking, could I have said, well, you did an illegal turn even before I significantly departed the curb, so there! :P

Posts will cease -I swear- until more people comment on the feedback post.

No comments: