Useless Culinary Extravagances

I can understand tools like peelers (using a knife to peel is inefficient), zesters (peeling then using a knife to cut peels finely is a bit of a pain), and even melon ballers (the spheres look cool and they're difficult to make with a standard spoon). But mango slicers? Apple splitters? Both of these cut its fruit into six or eight segments at once. Do people really buy these when a simple three or four quick slices with a chefs knife would do the same work? And do the people who buy them actually use them or only buy them to show them off?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Marvin has 3 apple corers (splitters) and uses it every time he has an apple which appears to be at least one per day. Aunt Alice says she is not strong enough to use it - it takes too much strength to push down on the apple.

mark said...

Notice in my post I said splitters. Corers aren't the same thing. I can understand the use of corers. I suppose one device could do both and therefore be useful. But something that exclusively splits seems pretty extravagant to me.