Boston Impressions Summary

I visited the Boston area from Friday, September 21, 2007, to Wednesday, September 26, 2007.

I got to explore a sizable portion of the Boston-Cambridge area, more than I expected. That's not because I had more time for sightseeing or was remarkably efficient, but rather because Boston had less to see than I thought. I feel like it's an easier city to come to understand than larger cities such as San Francisco or New York. It’s a substantial city with a smaller town feel.

Perhaps the feel comes from the ease with which one can get anywhere. Not only is the city very walkable, but the metro system is both efficient and reaches every part of the city (or at least every part of the city to which I wanted to go).

Furthermore, Boston has a walking trail, The Freedom Trail, which, at several miles long, passes by many of Boston’s historic sights. It’s clearly marked. More cities should have such trails! Not only does it help guide tourists, it also makes one feel as if one truly understands what a city believes is important about itself. All this, with less than one day of sightseeing.

In addition to Boston’s transportation system and compact feel, the quantity and quality of its food choices appealed to me. The restaurant scene’s competitiveness and diversity, spanning the culinary spectrum, is due, I’m sure, in no small part to all the students with taste and a limited budget.

Incidentally, the northeast seemed to be packed full of Dunkin’ Donuts. What’s up with that?

During this trip, the northeast, if anything, was a tad too warm (mostly 80s, warmer than the bay area!), a bit surprising given it was September. Still, hints of fall appeared. Some trees’ leaves were turning. Overall, it was a great time to visit.

No comments: