Singapore: Feb 15: Joo Chiat, Katong

On my last visit to Singapore, I visited only part of the Joo Chiat neighborhood in Katong. This time, our hotel was in this neighborhood, giving me the easy opportunity to finish my walking tour. We did. I took this smattering of pictures along the way. Di Yin also took pictures this day. The link goes to the first picture from this day (picture #76) in the album. When you see a picture of a woman sitting with a kitten at a bus stop (picture #97), you're done with her pictures from the day. I'll link to the rest in later posts.

The area feels like a neighborhood. The main street, Joo Chiat Road, has many clubs, especially ktv clubs (a type of karaoke club, sometimes sketchy). I was surprised to find a museum in this neighborhood: an upper floor of the Eurasian Community Centre has a display on Eurasians in Singapore during WWII. The exhibit was brought effectively to life by quotes from people who were there and by newspaper clippings.

We tried to have an early lunch (I had only a slice of pineapple for breakfast) at one of the famous Katong laksa places. However, they were all closed for the holiday. :( Instead, we returned to the Geylang Serai hawker centre, where I had a meal that completely satisfied me.

After lunch, we returned to our hotel for a quick shower--walking around in the blazing sun causes one to sweat--then headed to my company's office to relax and do some planning using the internet. Later, we headed to a friend's place for dinner with him and his family. (We also visited them on our previous trip to Singapore.) We had some good grilled steak for dinner (apparently he's now into meat) and received a tour of his awesome house. (He moved since our last visit.) The new house is very well designed. I want to live there. Sorry, I won't attempt to describe the house in writing in this post.

We returned home to go to bed early: the following morning we were flying to Cambodia.

No comments: