Thursday: Theater District, Pakistani, and Burgers

These pictures go with this post.

Ah, Thursday. Thursday was devoted to the theater district. The morning involved a bit of hiking along the west side of it. Along the way, I found a perfect example of what I mean by hidden churches. Then came across a massive convention center (see pictures). Supposedly they can fit the entire statue of liberty inside.

There was also a big ship that served as the base of the sea-air-space museum (see pictures). It looked cool -spot the stealth?- but the line was long so I decided I'd go back later.

While wandering through Times Square, I decided to snap some pictures that capture the feel of it, all the animated billboards, the hoards of people, and more. In retrospect, I realized I missed the most obvious item in Times Square: the electronic ticker tape. I finally have evidence for the garish McDonalds. Despite all the over-the-top-ness of most things in Times Square, the McDonalds is too much: worse than even the most egregious theatres.

Lunch was almost an Ethiopian restaurant. (Couldn't remember if I heard good things about it.) Then it was almost Sandwich Planet. (A sandwich place with a Zagat rating of 25! Barely anything in my price range ever has that rating. Sadly, it only has five tables -besides take-out- and they were full.) Then it was almost this Moroccan place I'd heard about. Sadly, it was closed (without any sign why). Finally, I ended up at the Pakistani place I'd been to before. Again, it was fairly good. Eggplants & potatoes, also chicken curry. I drank a reasonable amount of water this time and no ill effects. My previous issue after eating there must've been something hangover-like. (Sorry, forgot to take a picture of the restaurant.)

After work and finishing taking more pictures in Times Square, I headed north and saw some more famous buildings. Like Carnegie Hall. And this building with a tower that changed color and lighting according to the weather forecast.

Then for dinner -this time I'd planned- I grabbed a train down to the Gramercy district. I was heading toward a pub named Molly's (description). At the intersection it was supposed to be nearby, I spotted five other pubs before spotting this one! It was a typical pub in all ways, inside and outside. Sitting in the back, I had a Guiness and a burger and fries. And it was great! I can certainly believe the chowhounders when they said the place had one of the best burgers in the city. Sadly, my camera batteries were definitely and definitively dead by this point so I couldn't take a picture of the outside of the pub. And the light at night was perfect for it! :( Oh well. But there is picture of it on one of the pages linked to above. (By the way, the place even had sawdust on the floor. That makes it even cooler.)

No comments: