Thursday Night: I Am A Chowhound

Some of you may wonder what I mean when I say I am a chowhound. (Well, actually probably none of you wonder that but I'll tell you anyway.) Chowhounds spend hours researching and discussing food and restaurants in underground places, only to spend even more time trekking to find the hidden place that'll fulfill their craving. This is what I did Thursday night. After researching and settling on the Burger Joint as one of the best and cheapest burger joints (hah) in the city, I took the train up to 56th. I walked the block between 6th and 7th twice and never found a trace of it. So I went home.

And then researched more and found that the Burger Joint was hidden behind a thick curtain in the lobby of a fancy hotel. So I took another train and half an hour later I was back on that block. (That's what makes me a chowhound.) At first I went into the wrong hotel lobby: no curtain. But then I found it. These pictures document my journey into the place (taken after I found it) just to show how well hidden it was.

It was definitely a joint if you know what I mean by that. The burger I had was quite good, though not as good as the one at Molly's. Also had some fries and a Sam Adams (which I only partially finished because of my stomach). The food helped calm it, briefly.

No comments: