Wednesday: A New York Lunch, Upper Midtown

These pictures go with this entry.

Wednesday was a New York lunch, meaning I snuck out a little after lunchtime to buy same-day discount theater tickets. Sadly, that failed because of the two shows I wanted to see, one closed a few days prior and the other is perpetually sold out (after having won lots of Tony awards). On the way back, the excursion turned into a new york lunch in another way: a museum. I happened to run across the International Center for Photography. After a $7 entrance fee, I was off exploring.

Sadly, it was entirely unthrilling. The good pieces were few and far between; most of the exhibit was filled with weird experimental Chinese photographs. They had some videos that looked interesting, but I couldn't force myself to sit through all the bad ones to wait for the good ones.

Towards the evening, I left to explore parts of upper midtown. The most amazing building I saw here was Saint Patrick's Cathedral, with its towers that seem to dwarf the church itself. The inside was pretty impressive too, nice stained glass windows and statues and all, but certainly much smaller that the tremendous cathedral on the upper west side.

There were a number of smallerish museum in this area, notably the museum of television and radio (notable because I returned to it later). The building next door to the museum had some strange figures that I can't figure out.

Radio City Music Hall is on the edge between this district and the theater district. The lights are quite impressive, and I'm not quite sure I managed to capture the full effect in my pictures. Radio City is right by Rockefeller Center, which I went in but was not impressed by (though that may be from the fact that it was just closing).

There are also three large matching buildings around here with many fairly narrow windows. The combination of their size and the vertical lines created by their windows created a dizzying effect.

Took a picture of a neat triangular metal sculpture Edison would like, oriented toward the sky.

Finally, found myself by Little Brasil at this point, so grabbed a fairly nice dinner at Ipanema Restaurant. Though the dish I ordered didn't sound that similar, it was quite similar to the previous dish I had at a different little brasil restaurant, again heavy on the shrimp puree. Very filling.

No comments: